Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buccaneers back at work, prepping for delayed start to season

Jameis Winston and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are back to work following a six-day, Hurricane Irma-imposed layoff that delayed the start to their season.

“Obviously, it’s great to get back to thinking a little bit about football, when the NFL postponed last Sunday’s season opener at Miami because of the storm.,” coach Dirk Koetter said Wednesday after the team’s first full practice since last week

“We know that a lot of people got it worse than we did,Authentic Von Miller Jersey, and we were very fortunate here to have as little misfortune in this area as we did in some other parts of the state and the region, it’s good to get back to football.”,Authentic Adam Humphries Jersey,” Koetter said. “We’re thinking about those people. We are thinking about those still hurting (and) still inconvenienced. But at the same time

With the scheduled opener against the Dolphins pushed back to Nov. 19, players scattered across the country for their bye week after a workout last Wednesday.

They returned, late Tuesday for a walk-through practice at One Buccaneer Place.,Womens Garett Bolles Jersey, some after long car trips that began the previous day

“This early in the season we have never taken this many days off. I didn’t have a great feel for what it was going to look like out there today,” Koetter said.

“We had 64 plays that we got in last night in walk-through,” the coach added. “I thought we got them at least talking about football again and thinking about football a little bit.”

Preparation for Sunday’s home game against Chicago began in earnest Wednesday with just the third full practice the Bucs have had since the end of the preseason on Aug. 31.

Considering none of the starters played in the final preseason game and eight regulars were also held out of the third preseason game,Authentic Demarcus Walker Jersey, some players will seeing their first game action in a month when they face the Bears.

“What is it going to be like? I don’t know what it’s going to be like. There’s no right or wrong answer,” Koetter said.

“We are playing a game on Sunday, so it doesn’t matter what it’s like. It’s probably going to be hard on them,” the coach added. “I know the Bears aren’t going to be feeling sorry for us.”,Womens Carlos Henderson Jersey, but I don’t think anybody is going to be feeling sorry for us

Returning finalists from 2017 are receivers Isaac Bruce and Terrell Owens; center Kevin Mawae; tackles Tony Boselli and Joe Jacoby; guard Alan Faneca; safeties John Lynch and Brian Dawkins; cornerback Ty Law; and coach Don Coryell.

NFL Picks 2017, Week 2: Who the experts are picking in Bears vs. Buccaneers

So much for playing the defending NFC Champion down to the wire.

Despite a better-than-expected effort from the Bears in their Week 1 loss to Atlanta,Womens Von Miller Jersey, the experts are still nearly unanimous in their devotion to Chicago’s opponent in what feels like a weekly tradition since the beginning of 2016.

Chicago should have an advantage in game preparation this week. Quarterback Mike Glennon is familiar with almost every player on Tampa Bay’s defense after facing them in practice daily for the last couple years. Glennon will have invaluable intel for offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains, which couldn’t come at a better time. Loggains is facing the difficult task of assembling a productive passing game in spite of not having a clear No. 1 receiver on the roster.

The Bears have to contend with more than just Tampa Bay’s talent. QB Jameis Winson and his teammates will be armed with a rare level of emotion after Hurricane Irma devastated Florida last week. The Buccaneers’ Week 1 game was rescheduled, making their Week 2 game against the Bears their season opener.

Bears injury tracker: Cornerback Prince Amukamara could miss second straight game

Limited participation: Cornerback Prince Amukamara (right ankle),Womens Adam Humphries Jersey, left guard Kyle Long (right ankle), running back Jordan Howard (shoulder), receivers Markus Wheaton (left pinkie) and Josh Bellamy (ankle),Authentic Garett Bolles Jersey,Authentic Carlos Henderson Jersey, safety Deon Bush (hamstring), linebacker Christian Jones (back)

What you should know: The Bears are facing a second straight game without cornerback Amukamara, but coach John Fox said he finished the session.,Womens Demarcus Walker Jersey, whose right ankle was rolled up on awkwardly during a tackle in the exhibiton against the Titans Aug. 27. Sunday's game against the Bucs will be only three weeks removed from the injury. It wouldn't be surprising if Amukamara needs another week to get back on the field. Cornerbacks Marcus Cooper and Kyle Fuller earned positive reviews from defensive coordinator Vic Fangio for their play last Sunday against the Falcons. Bellamy was added to the injury report Thursday because of an ankle issue that occurred during practice

Did not participate: Safety Adrian Amos (personal reasons), running back Benny Cunningham (left ankle)

Limited participation: Cornerback Prince Amukamara (right ankle), left guard Kyle Long (right ankle), running back Jordan Howard (shoulder), receiver Markus Wheaton (left pinkie), safety Deon Bush (hamstring), linebacker Christian Jones (back)

What you should know: This will be an interesting week for Long, who may be getting closer to being ready for game action. How he responds to an increased practice workload as the week moves on will be worth monitoring. But it's certainly possible he gets over the hump and is cleared to play Sunday. Amukamara, meanwhile, which bodes well for his availability against the Bucs., is improving from the ankle sprain he suffered in the third preseason game but might still be a week away from playing. With the void at receiver following Kevin White's shoulder blade injury, Wheaton's availability becomes even more significant. Howard finished last Sunday's game against the Falcons

Limited participation Friday: Long, Wheaton, McPhee

What you should know: It seems likely that Long will be inactive for Sunday's opener. The Bears are wise enough not to push the veteran lineman into action too early knowing the 16-game grinds that's ahead. Long himself noted the need to remain aware of the big picture. "I’m not going to go out there unless I feel like myself," he said Thursday. "I don’t want to go out there and let my team down and not be able to do the things I want to do physically and from a football standpoint."

After missing all four practices this week, Amukamara is almost certain to be inactive as well. Look for McPhee to be on a limited snap count.

What you should know: Long's return to practice on a limited basis is at least notable. It was his first practice activity since training camp ended last month. But it still seems highly unlikely that he'll be active Sunday. Equally notable for the Bears is the absence of inside linebacker Danny Trevathan from the injury report altogether. Trevathan is cleared to make his return to game action this weekend after rupturing his patellar tendon in Week 13 last season. Amukamara, is probably at least a week away from being able to return to action. , meanwhile

What you should know: There’s a very real possibility that Amukamara, Long and Wheaton sit out the opener. Not having Amukamara, the team’s best cornerback, but that remains a see-it-to-believe-it proposition. Veteran tackle Tom Compton could replace Long at left guard., to help slow the Falcons’ high-octane passing attack would obviously be problematic. Former first-round pick Kyle Fuller would have a heck of a test in his first game since missing all of 2016 following knee surgery in August of last year. Long’s absence from practice is not surprising, considering he was pulled out of team drills following the Aug. 14 practice on the final day of training camp. The Bears remain confident he’ll return to form at some point

Working...
X